Wednesday 8 February 2012

First Impressions about Holes - 1


             After I read first three chapters of Holes by Sachar, I have convinced that desperate and unfortunate days are going to begin for Stanley Yelnats. The use of contrast at the end of third chapter and the general atmosphere of the book let me predict that he will be possibly bitten by a scorpion or a rattlesnake. Especially this part from 3rd chapter excites me and gives me courage to don’t leave reading:  
            "Welcome to Camp Green Lake," said the driver. Stanley               looked out the dirty window. He couldn't see a lake. And hardly anything was green. (3rd chapter)        
Stanley's physic and the curse that captured him reminds the main character Patrick Smash of the comedy film Thunderpants and his misfortune. Patrick was born with two stomachs, and hence the uncontrollable 'talent' to produce ungodly farts (I don't rather to watch this film today, but it was a good one for a small kid.). This soon drives his own dad away and makes his social life hell. Okey, the same story doesn't work for Stanley. But similar to Patrick, Stanley has no friends in his school and his schoolmates mock him because of his physical attributes. After some miserable days Patrick manage to solve his problem and his disadvantage turns to an advantage. I predict that the curse of Stanley's no-good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather(what kind of adjective is that?!) concludes an advantage with a similar plot to Thunderpants. We will see that...


              Before I tap the send button on the page and send my first entry about Holes (and also first entry after prologue), I would like to share with you some questions I am curious about and that I want to be answered:

    What are the details of story of Stanley’s no-good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather ?
        Why is Stanley arrested, even though he claims that he is innocent?
        Why do dwellers of Camp Green Lake have to dig holes?
        Who is Warden actually?
        How did the project of Stanley’s father led Stanley’s arrest? 
   (225 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment